Friday, January 20, 2017

Making An Impact vs Getting Out

As a bivocational pastor, I am asked many questions when it comes to what I do.  If you have done this for a year or longer, you know the questions.  Questions such as "How do you balance everything?", "Does your church have a problem with you not being at the office every day?" and the BIG ONE..."When do you hope to get out of bivocational ministry and be full-time?"  Many people are surprised that I don't CURRENTLY have a 5 or 10 year plan to get out, I simply want to make an impact.  Sure, in the beginning, it was a nice thought but soon it became more of passion rather than a plan.  I have told our board that when they feel there are funds in the budget to bring me on full-time, then that would be a great time to hire someone to help with the ministry of Velocity Church.

When I interviewed at Culligan, I told them I would expect to be back at the church within 2 1/2-3 years...that was nearly 4 1/2 years ago and I am so grateful.  There was a slight transition that took place in April of 2015 when I moved into sales but I was thankful because I realized God was continuing to allow me to walk into peoples homes long before they would ever walk in my office at church during the day.  I am thankful that I get to walk in numerous homes every week and make an impact on them.  No, I am not going in there to share the gospel of Jesus but I do hope to make an impact by the way I treat them.  When I am in meetings or hanging out with our service techs, I can be a voice that builds people up, not one that tears them down.  I don't walk in homes and announce I am a pastor but it has come up and opened the door for me to pray with people, encourage them and on occasion, invite them church.  Some have visited, many have not, few have stayed.  For all I know, there may be customers of mine that are sitting in a church in Knox or Richland County because their Culligan Man told them to find a church and get plugged in.

I don't use the platform of bivocational ministry to build Velocity Church.  If it happens in the process, GREAT. I do my best to use it to make an impact in the lives of people and do my part to build the Kingdom of God.  If you are in bivocational ministry and thinking more about going full-time than making an impact on people, you need to reevaluate some things.  If you can't honestly see yourself stepping in to bivocational ministry without knowing there's an end in sight and you may have to do it for many years to come, you probably shouldn't go down this road right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers