Monday, October 24, 2016

Bivocational Pastor...you need something else to do.

Stay with me!  As a bivocational pastor, it seems insane to add something else to your week from your job and your ministry.  It's only for a season but it will be last beyond that.  For me, I just wrapped up my 6th season of coaching youth football.  Does it take away from some stuff at the church, Yes.  Does it take away from the job I earn money from, Yep.  So, why do I do it?  Because it brings me a sense of joy and fulfillment.  For me, when I step on that practice field or game field, I'm not thinking about anything ministry related.  I admit to having a major problem when it comes to taking time off or "resting" from ministry.  It's not something I'm good at.  I'm not talking about just physically going to the office or holding meetings but shutting off my mind (just ask my wife).  So, yeah, a typical week of football consumes approximately 8 hours of practice time, game time, roster adjustment, play changes, etc.  BUT...that is 8 hours that I am not thinking ministry stuff.  

For me, coaching is a "getaway" from ministry.  However, none of this works if not for the support of Velocity Church and my family.  I have been blessed with an understanding board and ready to help leaders that allow me 3 months to reach out to other families in our community  For them, they are ok with the reduction in office hours and the frequent guest speakers.  From August through yesterday, I had 5 Sunday's that I did not have to prepare for.  The church understand how much of a passion for football I have.  They understand the need for their pastor to be involved in the community.  Coaching allows those two things to come together.  The BIG difference maker is that they don't expect me to do all the coaching on top of preaching every Sunday.  For my family, we do as much of it together as we can.  From time to time, my daughters will be water girls for the team, my son will help run chains and my wife is always ringing that ridiculous cowbell in the stands, lol.  We all know that during football season, dinner is gonna be late and Dad is gonna yell alot (on the field of course) but they know that even though my schedule is busy, my mind isn't occupied by more ministry stuff.

I'm not telling you to go out and start coaching...especially if you don't know anything sports, haha.  I am encouraging you to find something away from your church to be involved with that brings joy and fulfillment to you and keeps your mind off the ministry.  When it can be in your community, that is even better as you will build relationships and meet people that you may not otherwise get to meet. So yes, it will take some work and vision casting from you to your church board and your congregation. Am I promising you that all of the sudden you will have people flooding your church when you add something else to your list? NOPE!!!  What I am promising is that when you find whatever that is and get the church and family support you need, you will be a better you and a better pastor.  It will take some trial and error of scheduling and re-assigning tasks to some leaders but remember, it all means your church is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers